This link will take you to the NJ State Referee Committee's website, where you can learn more about and register for the upcoming sessions of the Grassroots Entry-Level Referee Course to be held in-person throughout the state in August and September. Details below:
ENTRY-LEVEL CLASS INFORMATION FOR 2023!
WELCOME TO THE FIRST STEP IN BECOMING A SOCCER REFEREE!
You must be 13 or older to set up an account in the Learning Center.
Step 1: Create a Profile at US Soccer Referee Learning Center (LC)
These accounts must be created ONLY in the referee’s name. Parent’s names should not be included in the referee’s profile, except as an additional contact.
Step 2: General Class Information
- The process to become a USSF referee consists of 3 parts. You must complete each step in the order listed. You cannot take your in- person class prior to completing your online training nor your field session prior to attending you class sessions.
- PART 1: Online training thru your learning.ussoccer.com (LC) account
- PART 2: In-person class
- PART 3: In-person field session
- MASKS are required for all in-person classes held indoors.
- If you cannot attend your scheduled in-person class, or do not complete your online training prior to your deadline and are not permitted to attend your in-person class session, you will be given a partial refund and you will have to sign up and pay for another class. Once you attend your In-person Class, we do not offer any refunds.
- Registration for an online course includes US Soccer licensing and liability insurance. This fee also includes a US Soccer Referee uniform and Starter Kit from Official Sports. Information on ordering your uniform will be emailed to you once you complete both the online and in-person class session.
- We do NOT offer full refunds.
- The date of the class you will register for on the LC will be the date of your In-person Class. Field sessions will require a separate registration at njsrc.gameofficials.net after completion of the in-person class. Please see dates and schedules below.
- In-person Class Dates and locations:
- Saturday 8/6/22 Budd Lake
- Sunday 8/7/22 Cherry Hill
- Saturday 8/13/22 Old Bridge
- Sunday 8/14 Hasbrouck Heights
- Saturday 8/20/22 Bordentown
- Saturday 8/27/22 Old Bridge
- In-person Field Session Dates and locations:
- Sunday 8/21/22 TBD
- Sunday 8/28/22 Teaneck
- Saturday 9/10/22 Sayreville
- You must sign (minors must have an adult sign the form also) and bring with you your Class Waiver in order to attend the in-person class. Waivers can be found posted in your LC Library tab within your class registration within the LC. Waivers do not have to be handed in at the field session because the in-person class waiver form also applies to the field session.
Step 3: Register for our Grassroots Entry Level Course ($155)
- Date of class you are registering for is for your in-person class session only. Field sessions will require separate registration, directions below.
- Office hours are M-F 9am-2pm. Make sure you have asked all questions prior to your session. No one is available over weekends to answer your questions. We do not monitor the Chat communications within the LC.
Step 4: Complete All 5 Assignments posted in your LC Assignments Tab Prior to attending your In-Person Class
Deadline for completion of the 5 online training Assignments is Midnight Thursday prior to your scheduled class date. Anyone who has not completed their training prior to the deadline will be removed from the class on Friday and you will be given a partial refund. No full refunds are offered. Reference below to “before the in-person class” means before the Thursday midnight deadline for all aspects of the online requirements.
- 100% of the Online Grassroots Referee Course MUST be completed before attending the in-person class. Estimated time to complete is 4.5-6 hours. It is a good idea to take a screen shot or a photo with your phone of the final completion screen of your online training just in case of any issues. Make sure to save your progress each and every time you step away from your computer for a length of time. If you leave the program open at night, it may not save your progress when you resume the next morning.
- Introduction to Safe and Healthy Playing Environments must be completed prior to the in-person class
- GrassRoots Quiz must be completed prior to the in-person class
- Safe Sport Certification (if 18 or older) must be completed prior to the in-person class – Estimated time to complete is 2-2.5 hours
- Complete the US Soccer NCSI Background Check (if 18 or older) ($30) – Valid for two years. -Takes 7-10 days to clear. Your background check must be cleared before you can attend your in-person class. We do not accept any other background checks.
Step 5: Attend your In-person Class Session
- This session will last approximately 7 hours. Classes run:
- Registration 8:30am-8:59am. Late arrivers are NOT permitted. You must attend the entire class on the day you have registered for.
- Class runs 9am-4:30pm. There will be a 30-minute lunch break around 12pm. Lunch is NOT provided.
- You must sign (minors must have an adult sign the form also) and bring with you your Class Waiver in order to attend the in-person class. Waivers can be found posted in your LC Library tab within your class registration within the LC.
- You will be sent your uniform order form and Field Session Code by email and it will be posted in your Communications tab in the LC after completion of your in-person class session. Please do not call or email the office the day of your class to get the field session code, this will be sent to you during office hours.
Step 6: Register for and Attend your In-person Field Session
- Field session dates and locations are listed above, once dates and locations are confirmed.
- You will set up an account at njsrc.gameofficials.net. Only the referee’s name should only be placed in the account, parent’s name should not be used as Display Name.
- You can only sign up for one field session at a time.
- You will be given your grade/age code for the field session once you complete your in-person class session. Emails will be sent out with the code and the code will be posted in your LC class in the Communications tab.
- You will register for the date and time you can attend your field session.
- Classes run:
- First Session:
- Registration 8:30am-8:59am
- Field Session 9:00am- 12:00pm
- Second Session, if offered:
- Registration 12:00pm-12:29pm
- Field Session 12:30pm-3:30pm
- What to bring to the field session?:
- At least 2 water bottles (more if temperatures warrant) – public drinking fountains may not be available
- Hand Sanitizer
- Healthy snack
- What to wear?:
- Wear your uniform if you have received your uniform order already
- Otherwise, comfortable fitting clothes appropriate for outdoors
- Comfortable shoes for use on the outdoor parking lot or field
- Dress appropriately for the weather – we will be outside for the entire session!
- Once you complete your field session, your will be registered as a USSF Referee and receive your USSF badge.
Step 7: Download the IFAB Laws of the Game (LOTG)
- The LOTG are also available as an app on both Android and iOS.
- You can either use the link provided above or find the link in your account under Resources.
- It is not required to print the LOTG document.